By William Deverell, David Igler
This quantity of unique essays by means of best students is an cutting edge, thorough advent to the historical past and tradition of California.
- Includes 30 essays via prime students within the field
- Essays variety largely throughout views, together with political, social, financial, and environmental history
- Essays with comparable methods are paired and grouped to paintings as person items and as partners to one another in the course of the text
- Produced in organization with the Huntington-USC Institute on California and the West
Read Online or Download A Companion to California History PDF
Best state & local books
First published in 1984, this publication turned an speedy bestseller, and in a while, a cult vintage. Now up to date and containing new fabric, it tells a brilliantly researched tale of a gaggle of idealists enthusiastic about the potential for LSD to enhance the standard of life. Called a hippie mafia through police, The Brotherhood of everlasting Love got here to represent the increase of LSD, the expansion of the psychedelic move, and the heady, positive, innovative days of the Sixties.
No longer some time past, the tale of the yank West was once an easy story. Its subject matter used to be "The successful of the West," and its plot easily Euro-Americans as they galloped around the continent. yet in the course of the final 20 years, historians like Scott C. Zeman have began to envision the tale and separate the myths from the evidence.
On August 1, 1966, Charles Whitman ascended the college of Texas Tower and dedicated what used to be then the biggest simultaneous mass homicide in American heritage. He gunned down forty-five humans inside of and round the Tower ahead of he was once killed by means of Austin cops. as well as selling the increase of S.
This booklet of memories of previous XIT Ranch cowmen places on checklist the standard lifetime of the people who made the ranch run.
- Kansas in the Great Depression: Work Relief, the Dole, and Rehabilitation
- Homegrown Terror: The Oklahoma City Bombing (Disasters-People in Peril)
- The Archaeology of Regional Interaction: Religion, Warfare, and Exchange across the American Southwest and Beyond (Proceedings of the Southwest Symposium)
- Lower Piedmont Country: The Uplands of the Deep South (Library Alabama Classics)
- Flowing Through Time: A History of the Lower Chattahoochee River (Chattahoochee Valley Legacy)
- A Companion to the American West
Extra info for A Companion to California History
Prussian-born Harris Newmark, who was 19 when he came to somnambulant Los Angeles in 1853 and who learned Spanish before he learned English in order to run his store, almost alone recorded the city’s commonplaces in the pre- and post-Civil War period. ) By contrast, scores of energetic letter writers and journal keepers give the historian an almost cinematic view of life and manners in the diggings, making the Gold Rush one of the most written-about episodes (save for the Civil War) in American history.
Some of them start crying,” Pai told me, “not just crying, but howling, you know? ” For the ﬁrst generation, the costs of immigration are high. The New Year’s festival in Fresno that ﬁrst brought Pai Yang and her family to the city is the largest festival of its kind, attracting thousands of Hmong from around the country and the world. This week-long celebration of their traditional music, food, and dance not only brings the Hmong community together, it serves as an occasion for strengthening connections with the rest of Fresno.
The histories we tell about the places in which we live have a shaping power over those places. If you had stood on a levee overlooking the Los Angeles River on any summer day in the last 30 years, anywhere below the sharp loop the river makes at the industrial city of Vernon, when the only thing stirring on the ﬂat waste of riverbed concrete is the reclaimed waste water running in the “low ﬂow” slot down the middle of the channel, skepticism surely would have triumphed over any hope that meaning still clings to so many miles of glaring whiteness.