By The Department of Medieval Studies at the Central European University
Read or Download Annual of Medieval Studies at Central European University 12 (2006) PDF
Best medieval books
This booklet presents a distinct and obtainable creation to the whole works of Ovid. utilizing a thematic process, Volk lays out what we all know approximately Ovid's existence, provides the author's works inside of their poetic genres, and discusses principal Ovidian subject matters. the 1st common advent to Ovid written in English in over twenty years, providing the very most modern Ovidian scholarshipDiscusses the total works of OvidAccessible writing and a thematic technique make this article perfect for a large audienceA present revival in Ovid makes this well timed variation hugely useful
This quantity at the Roman poet Ovid (43 BCE - 17 CE) includes articles through 14 overseas students. Contributions disguise a variety of issues, together with a biographical essay, a survey of the most important manuscripts and textual traditions, and a complete dialogue of Ovid's variety
This e-book deals an analytic heritage of Britannia (first England and Wales after which nice Britain) over 8 hundred years of political turmoil, intermingled with monetary stagnation, by way of the engine of the commercial revolution. The booklet attracts on economics, political technology, public selection, philosophy and the legislations to probe intensive into the evolution of Britannia from an impoverished feudal after which post-feudal autocracy right into a constitutional monarchy with restricted suffrage that supplied the fulcrum for business and advertisement good fortune, making Britannia, by way of 1884, the richest state, in line with capita, in the world.
All of us be able to realize and create humour, yet how precisely can we do it? Salvatore Attardo and Victor Raskin have tried to give an explanation for the workings of humour with their basic conception of Verbal Humor (1991). The significant target of Hamilton's learn is to check the usefulness of the overall thought of Verbal Humor on a selected corpus through choosing and studying the narrative buildings that create humour.
- Practical Materia Medica of the Medieval Eastern Mediterranean According to the Cairo Genizah (Sir Henry Wellcome Asian Series)
- New Heroes in Antiquity: From Achilles to Antinoos (Revealing Antiquity)
- Hellenistic Bookhands (Ancient Greek Edition)
- Il ""miraggio"" di Alceo: Fr. 140 V. (Beitrage Zur Altertumskunde) (Italian Edition)
- Death in Babylon: Alexander the Great and Iberian Empire in the Muslim Orient
- Medieval Hebrew Poetry in Muslim Egypt: The Secular Poetry of the Karaite Poet Moses Ben Abraham Dar'i: Karaite Texts and Studies Vol 3
Additional resources for Annual of Medieval Studies at Central European University 12 (2006)
The will of Sir William Langeford, knight Date: 1411. Written in Middle English with Latin formal opening and closing sections. There are a number of (technical) terms for pieces of armour in Anglo-French, as we would expect in this period: ‘paunce’, ‘rerebrace’, ‘vambrace’, ‘ventaile’. Here the testator also appears to be leaving his wife her own clothes. Printed in Furnivall (1964), 18–21. The translation is by Louise Sylvester. ] all the utensils of my house, that is to say, of the hall, the chamber, the pantry and the buttery, the larder and kitchen, with all their apparel, that is to say clothing, rings and all other accessories, whatever they are.
10. Ornamenta Willielmi episcopi primi Date: 4 January1095 (1096). Written in Latin. William de Karilepho (Saint Carilef / Saint Calais; see Plate 1), abbot of St Vincent’s in Normandy, was consecrated bishop of Durham at Gloucester during Christmastide, 1080, and was made Lord Chief Justice of England. He died at Windsor early in January 1096. The notices of splendid robes which the monks of Durham obtained upon the death of each of its early bishops, are, strictly speaking, neither wills nor inventories, but mortuaries.
Printed in Raine (1836), 2–3. The translation is by Louise Sylvester. ] my long 3 0 medie val dre s s and te xtil e s in britain meum longum coloris de appelblome cum tunicâ ejusdem coloris. Item lego Johanni filio meo robam meam de sendre cum omnibus garniamentis. Item lego Willielmo filio meo robam meam de albo kamelyn cum collobio ejusdem, unum coverlit radiatum opere rosarum pulverisatum, unum chalon’ et duo lynthiamina ac unum materas. Item lego Agneti filiæ meæ tunicam meam de taune cum longo collobio et capucio fururatis ejusdem coloris.